zaterdag 15 november 2014

Bikers

Not long after i got my drivers license for driving a car, i also got my drivers license for riding a motorcycle. Shortly after that i bought a motorbike, a not so old second hand 600cc bike. Soon i grew an interest in old bikes from the seventies but mainly to ride them, not to work on them to make them better or to restore them. None of my bikes were 100% original, i liked bikes that were a bit different. At first i wore a full face helmet which i thought was not so practical when wearing glasses. So later i bought an open face helmet which was much more practical. I wore an old leather jacket which i had since i was sixteen years old. I also had thin leather pants which were later abandoned for warmer thicker pants. If it was warm in summer i wore jeans.

Sometimes when i was wearing jeans some other biker in a full leather suit with protection would point out to me that riding in jeans was not safe. I always ignored them. They were right on one point, when falling at speed and sliding over rough tarmac a full leather suit with protection keeps your skin better protected then jeans. But it was my choice to wear jeans and take the risk, i did not need someone else to tell me i was wrong/stupid.

When riding old bikes the electric system isn't always as good as on modern bikes, so on bright clear days i was riding without my lights on. The only (light) accident i had in twenty years was when i had my lights on. What saved me was anticipating on possible dangers and i had time to brake before hitting a car whose owner didn't see me. As with the jeans other bikers would point out to me that my lights were not on while riding, even on bright sunny days. Again it is my choice, and from my own experience i can say that having lights on doesn't save you from accidents, attentive and sensible drivers will save you, and anticipating driving yourself. Ask an ambulance driver who drives the best visible brightly colored car you can imagine how many near misses and accidents they have.

While bikers can be so proud of their individuality, from my own experience i can say that the biker world is made of sheeples. I was one of them. Riding a custom made chopper wearing the "biker" outfit going to biker meetings doesn't make a person an independant individual. You're going to meet people who do just the same as you, want to look the same as the others, and talk the same talk as everyone else. Even if someone belongs to a group where everyone rides a bike that they like, and are not trying to fit in by riding a certain type of bike, it doesn't make a person an independant individual.



 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten